The Italian Olympic Committee is appealing to lengthen Sampdoria forward Francesco Flachi's 16-month ban by the Italian league for cocaine use.
CONI said in a statement Tuesday that it would appeal to the Italian soccer federation.
The committee had recommended a two-year ban, but the league's disciplinary committee decided last week to reduce it by eight months since it was Flachi's first drug offense.
Traces of cocaine were found in Flachi's system following Sampdoria's 2-0 loss to visiting Inter Milan on January 28.
Flachi said the cocaine was contained in a cigarette he was offered by someone he didn't know after a dinner the day his second son was born.
Flachi's lawyer Paolo Rodella said his client would appeal to reduce the ban.
The 32-year-old Flachi was also suspended for two months by the league in September for illegal betting.